Place:


Llan Faes  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llan Faes like this:

LLANMAES, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; near the coast, 4 miles SSW of Cowbridge r. station. Post town, Cowbridge. Acres, 1,085. Real property, £1,403. Pop., 164. Houses, 38. The property is subdivided. Some remains exist of an ancient castle of the Mellifonts. The parochial surface is open and fertile; and the name Llanmaes signifies ''a church on a plain. ...


''The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £275. Patron, the Marquis of Bute. The church was recently repaired. The register records the death of two females, of the name of Yorath, in 1621 and 1668, at the ages of 180 and 177.

Llan Faes through time

Llan Faes is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llan Faes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llan Faes in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4965

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llan Faes ".