Place:


Llandecwyn  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandecwyn like this:

LLANDECWYN, a village and a parish in Festiniog district, Merioneth. The village stands high on a mountain side, about midway between the lakes Llyn-TecwynIsaf and Llyn-Tecwyn-Uwchaf, above the river TraethBach, near the Barmouth and Carnarvon railway, 4½ miles NNE of Harlech r. station.—The parish goes down to the river, and includes much mountain and many lakes. ...


Post town, Tan-y-Bwllclh, under Carnarvon. Acres, 6,915; of which 180 are water. Real property, £1,586; of which £20 are in mines. Pop., 436. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. Maes-y-Neuadd is a chief residence. Stone is quarried, and lead ore is worked. The lakes abound with fish, but have been much poached by the quarrymen. The scenery around the lakes is interesting. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Llanfihangel-y-Traetlhau, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is early English, in tolerable condition; and is dedicated to St. Tecwyn. Charities, £5.

Llandecwyn through time

Llandecwyn is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandecwyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandecwyn, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4952

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandecwyn ".