Place:


Milburn  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milburn like this:

MILBOURNE, a township-chapelry in Kirkby-Thore parish, Westmoreland; on the Maidenway, adjacent to Cumberland, 3 miles N of Kirkby-Thore r. station, and 6½ NNW of Appleby. It contains the hamlets of Milbourne-Grange and Gullom-Holme; and its Post town is Kirkby-Thore, under Penrith. Acres, 5,282. ...


Real property, with Newbiggen, £3,603. Pop. of M. alone, 324. Houses, 58. A large portion of the surface is moorish mountain, called Milbourne fells or Milbourne forest, extending eastward along the boundary with Cumberland to the vicinity of the meeting-point with Durham. Traces of an ancient British camp are at Green Castle; and a Roman altar was found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £95. Patron, Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church is of the early part of the 14th century. Charities, £5.

Milburn through time

Milburn is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milburn, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4936

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milburn ".