Place:


Cottesmore  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cottesmore like this:

COTTESMORE, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands near the Melton-Mowbray and Oakham canal, 3¾ miles E of Ashwell r. station, and 4½ NE of Oakham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Barrow; and its post town is Greetham, under Oakham. Acres, 2, 420. ...


Real property, £5, 749. Pop., 627. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Beauchamps, the Durants, the Harringtons, and others; and passed to the Noels. Cottesmore House is a hunting-seat of the Earl of Lonsdale; and was visited in 1813-4, by the Prince Regent. Limestone is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £893.* Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £52.

Cottesmore through time

Cottesmore is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cottesmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cottesmore in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4921

Date accessed: 27th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cottesmore ".