Place:


Broxbourne  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broxbourne like this:

BROXBOURNE, or Broxburn, a village, a township, and a parish in Ware district, Herts. The village stands on the verge of the county, on the New river, ¼ of a mile W of the Eastern Counties railway, and 4½ N by W of Waltham-Abbey; and it has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Hoddesdon, and two inns. ...


The township includes the village, and comprises 1,923 acres. Real property, £5,468. Pop., 765. Houses, 152. The parish includes also part of the village and chapelry of Hoddesdon. Acres, 4,505. Real property, with the rest of Hoddesdon, £11,923. Pop., 2,663. Houses, 541. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Knights of St. John; and passed to the Cocks, the Monsons, and others. Broxbourne-Bury is now the seat of the Bosanquets. And here Sir H. Cock entertained James I. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £361.* Patron, H. J. Smith, Esq. The church is later English, of the time of Henry VIII.; consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and two small chapels, with a plain steeple and beacon turret; contains an old pillared font, and many interesting brasses and monuments; and was restored in 1857. The p. curacy of Hoddesdon is a separate benefice. A school has £20 from endowment; alms-houses £165; and other charities £72.

Broxbourne through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Broxbourne has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Broxbourne go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4919

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broxbourne ".