Place:


Little Berkhampstead  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Berkhampstead like this:

BERKHAMPSTEAD (Little), a parish in the district and county of Hertford, 4 miles ESE of Hatfield r. station, and 4½ SW of Hertford. It has a post office under Hertford. Acres, 1,689. Real property, £3,025. Pop., 450. Houses, 98. The property is subdivided. Berkhampstead House is a chief residence. The observatory tower commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £249.* Patron, the Marquis of Salisbury. The church is very good. Charities, £15. Bishop Ken was a native.

Little Berkhampstead through time

Little Berkhampstead is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Berkhampstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Berkhampstead in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4918

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Berkhampstead ".