Place:


Barley  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barley like this:

BARLEY, a parish in Royston district, Herts; on the NE verge of the county, 3 miles SE of Royston r. station. It has a post office under Royston. Acres, 2,648. Real property, £4,222. Pop., 809. Houses, 171. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £501.* Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient. There are a recent Calvinist chapel, and charities £36.

Barley through time

Barley is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barley in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4917

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barley ".