Place:


Hawarden  Flintshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hawarden like this:

Hawarden (pronounced Harden), market town, par., and township, Flintshire, on affluent of river Dee, 8 miles SW. of Chester and 186 miles NW. of London - par., 17,302 ac., pop. 9387; township, 15,000 ac., pop. 7087; P.O., T.O. Coarse earthenware, tiles, and bricks are its mfrs. The nearest sta. is Queensferry, 1½ mile N. In the vicinity is Hawarden Castle, the seat of the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone, M.P.

Hawarden through time

Hawarden is now part of Flintshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Flintshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawarden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawarden in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4912

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawarden ".