Place:


Malton  North Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Malton like this:

Malton, market town, East-Riding and North-Riding Yorkshire, on river Derwent, 22 miles NE. of York and 210 miles N. of London by rail, 6855 ac., pop. 8754; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town includes Old Malton and New Malton pars., in the North-Riding, and Norton par., in the East-Riding. ...


Malton proper is connected with Norton by a bridge over the river, which here flows through a pleasant valley. Malton was probably the Derventio of the Romans. In the reign of Stephen it was burnt down by the Archbishop of York, and when rebuilt was called New Malton. An extensive trade is carried on, principally by breweries, maltings, foundries, corn mills, and agricultural implement works. Quarries for lime and whinstone are in the vicinity, and have a large output. At Old Malton are remains of a priory founded 1150. Malton returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.

Malton through time

Malton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Malton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Malton, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/491

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Malton ".