Place:


Sampford Courtenay  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sampford Courtenay like this:

SAMPFORD-COURTNEY, a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village stands in a fine spot, 1½ mile N of Okehampton-Road r. station; and has a post-office designated Sampford-Courtney, North Devon, and a cattle fair on the Tuesday after 1 July. The parish contains also the village of Sticklepath, and the hamlets of Corscombe and Willy. ...


Acres, 7, 962. Real property, £5, 936. Pop. in 1851, 1,084; in 1861, 991. Houses, 204. The manor belongs to King's College, Cambridge. A Cistertian monastery was founded at Brightley in 1136, by Richard Fitz-Baldwin; and was removed to Ford. An insurrection occurred in 1549, in consequence of an alteration in the church service; became so formidable as to make siege of Exeter; and was suppressed, by Lord Russell, at Clist, St. Mary. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £650.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is later English, in good condition; and has a lofty tower. There are a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel.

Sampford Courtenay through time

Sampford Courtenay is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sampford Courtenay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sampford Courtenay in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4891

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sampford Courtenay ".