In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitburn like this:
WHITBURN, a village and a parish in South Shields district, Durham. The village stands on a rising-ground, ¼ mile from the shore, 2¾ E of Cleadon-Lane r. station, and 3¼ N of Sunderland; is frequented in summer for sea-air and bathing; carries on considerable fishing; and has a post-office under Sunderland. The parish contains also Cleadon village; and comprises 4,200 acres of land, and 394 of water. Real property, £9,943; of which £250 are in quarries. Pop., 1,215. ...
Houses, 225. W. Hall, the seat of Sir H. Williamson, Bart., is the chief residence. Several Roman coins have been found The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £1,113.* Patron, the Bishop of D. The church was restored and enlarged in 1868; and a chapel of ease was built at Cleadon in the same year. There are two Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and an apprenticing charity £61.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitburn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Tyneside. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitburn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitburn, in South Tyneside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitburn".