Place:


Nevilles Cross  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nevilles Cross like this:

NEVILLES-CROSS, an ancient cross, in the E of the centre of Durhamshire; on a hill by the river. Brune or Browney, overlooking a wide expanse of smoky country, 1¼ mile S W of Durham city. It commemorates thebattle of Red Hills or Nevilles-Cross, fought on 17 Oct.1346, when David, king of Scotland, suffered a great defeat. ...


It probably was preceded by a more ancient cross; it formerly was adorned with statues of the four evangelists, and surmounted by a crucifix; it was denuded of these by wanton demolition, in 1589; and it is now reduced to a stone-stepped base and the lower part of theshaft.

Nevilles Cross through time

Nevilles Cross is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nevilles Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nevilles Cross, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4882

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nevilles Cross ".