Place:


Payhembury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Payhembury like this:

PAYHEMBURY, or Peyhembury, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands2¾ miles N W of Ottery-Road r. station, and 5¼ W by N of Honiton; and has a post-office under Exeter. The parish comprises 2, 698 acres. Real property, £3, 827. Pop., 532. Houses, 108. ...


The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the Giffords; passed to .the Stantons, the Prouses, and others; and belongs now to the Venus. A house was built by Admiral S. Graves, near Hembury fort. See Broadhembury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £186.* Patron, Mrs. G. Messiter. The church is good; has anembattled tower; and contains an elegant screen, and a fine monument to Mrs. Goswell. There are a national school, and charities £12.

Payhembury through time

Payhembury is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Payhembury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Payhembury in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4873

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Payhembury ".