Place:


Oakford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakford like this:

OAKFORD, a village and a parish in Tiverton district, Devon. The village stands on a bold acclivity, adjacent to a tributary of the river Exe, 2 miles S of the boundary with Somerset, 3 W S W of Bampton, and 6½ N N W of Tiverton r. station; is large and straggling; and has a post-office under Tiverton. ...


The parish comprises 5, 464acres. Real property, £3, 211. Pop., 629. Houses, 122. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £425. Patron, Mrs. Parkin. The church was rebuilt in 1838; and is a neat stone edifice, with a pinnacled tower. There are a parochial school, and charities £10.

Oakford through time

Oakford is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oakford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakford in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4872

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oakford ".