Place:


Littleham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littleham like this:

LITTLEHAM, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands on the coast, 2 miles E of Exmouth r. station; and is a small, scattered, secluded place.—The parish contains also the greater part of the town of Exmouth. Post town, Exmouth, Devon. Acres, 3,651; of which 640 are water. ...


Real property, £15,734; of which £57 are in quarries, and £23 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,4,150; in 1861,3,904. Houses, 801. Pop., exclusive of Exmouth, in 1851, 261; in 1861,243. Houses, 52. The manor belonged formerly to the Earls of Devon, and belongs now to the Hon. Mark Rolle. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Exmouth, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £184. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient and very good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a good screen. There are a chapel of ease, a dissenting chapel, and an endowed national school in Exmouth; and there are charities about £14.

Littleham through time

Littleham is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littleham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littleham in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4865

Date accessed: 13th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littleham ".