Place:


Jacobstowe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Jacobstowe like this:

JACOBSTOWE, a parish, with a village, in Okehampton district, Devon; on the river Okement, 3½ miles SE of Hatherleigh, and 4½ N of Okehampton. Post town, Exbourne, North Devon. Acres, 2, 856. Real property, £1, 663. Pop., 232. Houses, 43. The manor and much of the property belong to Major R. T. Thomson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £260.* Patron, Major R. T. Thomson. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to the Oxendons and the Burtons. There is a parochial school.

Jacobstowe through time

Jacobstowe is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Jacobstowe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Jacobstowe in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4858

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Jacobstowe ".