Place:


Highampton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Highampton like this:

HAMPTON (HIGH), or HIGHAMPTON, a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village stands near the river Torridge, 3½ miles W of Hatherleigh, and 9 NW of Okehampton r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Highampton, North Devon. The parish comprises 3, 039 acres. ...


Real property, £1, 525. Pop., 386. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. M. Woollcombe, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £198. * Patron, J. M. Woollcombe, Esq. The church is recent, with an ancient tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.

Highampton through time

Highampton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Highampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Highampton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4853

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Highampton ".