Place:


Halwill  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halwill like this:

HALWELL, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; 6 miles SE by E of Holsworthy, and 10 NNE of Lifton r. station. Post town, Holsworthy, North Devon. Acres, 3, 426. Real property, £1, 153. Pop., 257. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The surface is very hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old and plain, with a tower; and recently was dilapidated. There is a Baptist chapel.

Halwill through time

Halwill is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halwill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halwill, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4850

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halwill ".