In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitwell like this:
WHITWELL, a village and a parish in the district of Worksop and county of Derby. The village stands 4½ miles WSW of Worksop r. station, and has a post-office‡ under Chesterfield. The parish includes Belph and Baxton-Moor hamlets, and comprises 4,880 acres. Real property, £6,924. Pop. in 1851, 1,355; in 1861, 1,487. Houses, 309. The manor belongs to the Duke of Portland. W. Hall was the seat of Sir R. Manners, who was killed in the civil wars. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £640.* Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is large, cruciform, and good. A ruined, ivy-clad Saxon church is at Steetley. There are a boys' and a girls' school, supported by the Duke of Portland.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bolsover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitwell, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitwell".