In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Twyford like this:
TWYFORD, a chapelry, with T. and Stenson hamlets, in Barrow-upon-Trent parish, Derbyshire; on the river Trent, 2 miles E by N of Willington r. station, and 5½ SSW of Derby, Post town, Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 1,800. Real property, £2,008. Pop., 212. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to Sir G. Crewe, Bart. T. Hall is the seat of R. Turner, Esq. The living is annexed to Barrow. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Twyford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Twyford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Twyford in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Twyford".