Place:


Sandiacre  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandiacre like this:

SANDIACRE, a village and a parish in Shardlow district, Derby. The village stands on the Erewash river and canal, and on the Erewash Valley railway, 6 miles W S W of Nottingham; was once a market-town; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Nottingham. The parish comprises 1, 420 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 168. Pop., 1,012. Houses, 241. The property is subdivided. The making of lace, warp-nets, starch, and bricks, is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is decorated English, was .restored in 1864, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and U. Free Methodists.

Sandiacre through time

Sandiacre is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandiacre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandiacre, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4838

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandiacre ".