In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chardstock like this:
CHARDSTOCK, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Axminster, and county of Dorset. The village stands on the river Kitbridge, near the Yeovil and Exeter railway, between the Chard-Road and Axminster stations, 3½ miles SSW of Chard; and has a post office under Chard, and a fair on Old Michaelmas day. The parish comprises 5,800 acres. Real property, with Wambrook, £9,543. Pop., 1,461. Houses, 233. The property is much subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are employed in woollen mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £450.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1840. Charities, £82. The subdistrict contains three parishes. Acres, 17,447. Pop., 3,827. Houses, 714.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chardstock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chardstock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chardstock, in East Devon and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chardstock".