In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morley like this:
MORLEY, a township and a parish in Belper district, Derbyshire. The township lies 2½ miles E of Little Eaton r. station, and 4¼ NE of Derby; and has a pillar letter-box under Derby. Real property, £2,933. Pop., 230. Houses, 54. The parish contains also the township of Smalley, and comprises 3,513 acres. Real property, £5,992. Pop. in 1851,1,090; in 1861,951. Houses, 213. The property is subdivided. Morley Hall is the seat of R. S. W. Sitwell, Esq.; and Smalley Manor House is the seat of John Radford, Esq. ...
Traces exist of a Roman road. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Smalley, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £663. * Patron, alternately E. D. Sitwell, Esq. and the Trustees of the late Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart, The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1850; is in the decorated English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains some brasses and old monuments of the Stathums and the Sacheverells, and two recent monuments to W. Turbutt, Esq., and the Rev. R. B. Turbutt. There are a Wesleyan chapel in Morley, a chapel of ease and a Baptist chapel in Smalley, national schools in both Morley and Smalley, alms houses with £30 a year in Morley, and charities £50 in Smalley.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Morley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Morley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morley, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Morley".