Place:


Cowley  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowley like this:

COWLEY, or Cowley-Peachy, a parish in Uxbridge district, Middlesex; on the Roman road from Staines to St. Albans, the river Colne, and the Grand Junction canal, at the boundary with Bucks 1 ½ mile S of Uxbridge r. station, and 1½ N of West Drayton. It has a post office, of the name of Cowley, under Uxbridge. ...


Acres, 300. Real property, £2, 182. Pop., 371. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Pecches; and belongs now to W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £230.* Patron, W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The church has a monument to Booth the tragedian; and is good. Charities, £19.

Cowley through time

Cowley is now part of Hillingdon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hillingdon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowley, in Hillingdon and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4830

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowley ".