Place:


Linslade  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linslade like this:

LINCHLADE, or LINSLADE, a village and a parish in the district of Leighton-Buzzard and county of Buckingham. The village stands on the Northwestern railway, the Grand Junction canal, and the river Ouzel, at the boundary with Beds, contiguous to the new LeightonBuzzard r. station, in the NNW vicinity of LeightonBuzzard; is a modern place, of rapid growth, promising to become a town; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Leighton-Buzzard, several inns, and a fife and drum band.—The parish contains also a small old village of Linchlade, which was once a market town,. ...


and likewise the hamlet of Southcott. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £6,465. Pop. in 1851,1,309; in 1 861, 1,511. Houses, 297. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the Beauchamps, and belongs now to W. Pulsford, Esq. A tunnel of the Northwestern railway here is 290 yards long. There are ironstone and a pilgrim's well. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £120. * Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The old church stands at the old village, has a tower, and is now used only for burials, and for occasional services in summer. The new church was built in 1849; and, together with a national school, cost about £3,000.

Linslade through time

Linslade is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linslade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linslade, in South Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/483

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linslade ".