In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Horsley like this:
HORSLEY (WEST), a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands 3¼ miles N by E of Gomshall r. station, and 6 ENE of Guildford; and has a post office under Ripley.The parish comprises 2, 993 acres. Real property, £3, 135; of which £10 are in chalk pits. Pop., 706. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with West Horsley Place, belonged to Lord Berners, the translator of Froissart; passed to the Raleighs; was the favourite residence of Carew Raleigh, son of Sir Walter; passed to the family of Nicholas; and belongs now to H. ...
M. Weston, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £317.* Patron, H. M. Weston, Esq. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; was well restored in 1849; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and shingled spire; has, at the W end of the nave, a curious carving of the Nativity, found under the flooring in 1810; and contains monuments of a Berners and a Fullerton. A mortuary chapel belonging to the manor house is traditionally said to contain the head of Sir Walter Raleigh, in the same grave as the remains of his son. There are a national school, and charities £151.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Horsley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Guildford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Horsley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Horsley, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Horsley".