Place:


Clyst St George  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clyst St George like this:

CLIST-ST. GEORGE, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; on the river Clist, 2 miles E by N of Topsham r. station, and 4 SE of Exeter. Post town, Topsham, under Exeter. Acres, 1, 066; of which 25 are water. Real property, £2, 444. Pop., 300. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Champernownes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £327.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is partly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with western tower; has a sedilia, a piscina, and stained glass windows; and was restored in 1860. A school, founded in 1705 by Lady Seaward, has £40 from endowment, with an exhibition at Oxford or Cambridge.

Clyst St George through time

Clyst St George is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clyst St George itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clyst St George in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4816

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clyst St George ".