Place:


Charlton Kings  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlton Kings like this:

CHARLTON-KINGS, a parish and a subdistrict in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The parish lies in the south-eastern environs of Cheltenham, nominally 1¾ mile distant; and has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 3,170. Real property, £17,974. Pop., 3,443. Houses, 741. The property is much subdivided. ...


Charlton Park is a chief residence. There are mineral springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £177. Patron, Jesus College, Oxford. The church is later English, with enlargement in 1842; and has a tower. The churchyard contains a stone cross. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £69.-The subdistrict comprises all Cheltenham district, except Cheltenham parish. Acres, 21,136. Pop., 10,099. Houses, 2,083.

Charlton Kings through time

Charlton Kings is now part of Cheltenham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cheltenham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charlton Kings itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlton Kings, in Cheltenham and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/48

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charlton Kings ".