In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caldwell like this:
CAULDWELL, a hamlet in Stapenhill parish, Derby; 4 miles NNE of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent, and a Baptist chapel. Real property, £2,092. Pop., 132. Houses, 26.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Caldwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Caldwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caldwell in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Caldwell".