In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbots Bickington like this:
ABBOTS-BICKINGTON, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 2 miles SW of Umberleigh r. station, and 7 NNE of Holsworthy. Post town, Torrington. Acres, 1,078. Real property, £584. Pop., 71. Houses, 13. A blue limestone, used for building, is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £93. Patrons, the trustees of Lord Rollo. The ancient church was a cell of the Abbey of Hartland. The present church is a small structure of channel, nave, two aisles, and low tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Abbots Bickington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Torridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Abbots Bickington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbots Bickington, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Abbots Bickington".