Place:


Nether Wallop  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nether Wallop like this:

WALLOP (Nether), a parish in Stockbridge district, Hants; 4 miles WNW of Stockbridge r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Lower Wallop, under Winchester. Acres, 7,201. Real property, £7,278. Pop., 946. Houses, 195. There are several good residences. W. Fields are identified, by Dr. ...


Guest, with the Gualoppum of Nennius, one of the last battlefields of Vortigern with the Saxons. Danebury hill is crowned with an ancient camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £290.* Patrons, the Vicars-Choral in York Cathedral. The church is old but good. There are a dissenting chapel, an endowed school with £16 a year, and charities £25.

Nether Wallop through time

Nether Wallop is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nether Wallop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nether Wallop, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4783

Date accessed: 22nd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nether Wallop ".