Place:


Bacton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bacton like this:

BACTON, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; on the coast, 4½ miles NE of North Walsham r. station, and 19 NNE of Norwich. It includes the hamlets of Bacton Green, Bromholm, and Keswick; and has a post office under Norwich. Acres, 1,770; of which 170 are water. Real property, £3,058. ...


Pop., 490. Houses, 129. The property is subdivided. Considerable encroachments have recently been made by the sea. A church formerly stood at Keswick, but has been completely washed away. Ruins of a Cluniac-priory, founded in 1113 by Baxton de Glanville, stand at Bromholm. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value. £263.* Patron, Ear. l of Kimbersley. The church is an ancient structure, with a square tower; has a good font; and is in good condition. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and a coastguard station.

Bacton through time

Bacton is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bacton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bacton in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4739

Date accessed: 17th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bacton ".