Place:


Langley  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley like this:

LANGLEY, a village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Yare, 1½ mile N by W of Loddon and 3 SW of Cantley r. station; is a widely-scattered place; was once a market-town; and has an old cross, surmounted by four statues. The parish comprises 2,723 acres. ...


Post-town, Loddon, under Norwich. Real property, £4,129. Pop., 316. Houses, 60. The manor, with most of the property, and with Langley Hall, belongs to W. B. Proctor Beauchamp, Bart. The Hall was erected in 1740, and subsequently enlarged; is an elegant edifice; contains many valuable paintings and other works of art; and stands in a beautiful park of 800 acres. A Premonstratensian abbey was founded, at the Grange, in 1198, by Robert Fitz-Roger; was given, at the dissolution, to the Berneys; and is now represented by some ruins. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £45. Patron, Sir T. W. B. P. Beauchamp, Bart. The church is ancient; was repaired and decorated in 1803: and has a tower. Charities, £21.

Langley through time

Langley is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4732

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langley ".