Place:


Guist  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Guist like this:

GUIST, a village and a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Wensum, 2 miles WNW of Foulsham, and 3½ N by E of Elmham r. station; and has a post office under Thetford. The parish comprises 1,674 acres. Real property, £3,217. Pop., 361. Houses, 75. The manor belongs to the family of Norris. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £168. Patron, the Rev. W. Norris. The church is ancient; has an embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Bulwers, the Wiggetts, and others.

Guist through time

Guist is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Guist itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Guist, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4722

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Guist ".