Place:


Westhoughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westhoughton like this:

HOUGHTON (WEST), a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Deane parish, Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Bolton and Wigan railway, 5 miles SW by W of Bolton; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Bolton, a police station, and fairs on 27 Feb. ...


and 12 Oct.-The township comprises 4, 460 acres. Real property, £16, 679; of which £2, 790 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4, 547; in 1861, 5, 156. Houses, 1, 064. The land belongs chiefly to five. There are collieries, two silk factories, cotton mills, and a nail manufactory.—The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 3, 879. Houses, 806. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170. * Patron, the Vicar of Deane. The church was rebuilt in 1731; and re-rebuilt, at a cost of £5, 500, in 1869-70. There are chapels for Independents, Quakers, and Methodists, and a national school.—The sub-district is conterminate with the township.

Westhoughton through time

Westhoughton is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westhoughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westhoughton, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/472

Date accessed: 19th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westhoughton ".