In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Holy Cross like this:
STOKE-HOLYCROSS, a village and a parish in Henstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 1¼ mile of Swainsthorpe r. station, and 5 S of Norwich; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Norwich. The parishcomprises 1,659 acres. Real property, £3,988. Pop., 446. Houses, 96. S. Halland the Woodlands are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £210.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of N. The church is good. There are a home for ten orphan girls, and a fuel allotment of 13 acres.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stoke Holy Cross has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stoke Holy Cross and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Holy Cross in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stoke Holy Cross".