Place:


Sandringham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandringham like this:

SANDRINGHAM, a parish in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk; 1¾ mile N E of Wolverton r. station, and 7½ N N E of Lynn. Post-town, Dersingham, under Lynn. Acres, 1, 172. Real property, £878. Pop., 56. Houses, 13. The entire property, together with that of Wolverton, Babingley, West Newton, and parts of Appleton and Dersingham parishes, was purchased from the Hon.S. ...


Cowper by the Prince of Wales, for about £222,000. S. House is the Prince's seat; was, at first, a plain modernstucco building; and was extended, in 1866-8, by theaddition of a handsome new edifice. The estate is well-stocked with game. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Babingley, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £210* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church was restored in 1857. The churchyard contains an altar-tomb of 1866, erected at the expense of the Prince of Wales, to the memory of the late rector, the Rev. G. B. Moxon.

Sandringham through time

Sandringham is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandringham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4707

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandringham ".