Place:


Bentley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bentley like this:

BENTLEY, a village, a parish, and a liberty in Alton district, Hants. The village stands adjacent to the Alton and Farnham railway, 5½ miles NE of Alton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Farnham.—The parish comprises 2,288 acres. Real property, £4,717. ...


Pop., 721. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The pavements of a Roman villa have been found at Powderham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £700.* Patron, the Archdeacon of Surrey. The church is Norman, with a small tower; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £17.-The liberty is conterminate with the parish.

Bentley through time

Bentley is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bentley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bentley in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4678

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bentley ".