Place:


Norton Subcourse  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Subcourse like this:

NORTON-SUBCOURSE, a village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands 2 miles S of the river Yare, 2½ S S W of Reedham Junction r. station, and 3 E of Loddon; and is a widely scattered place. The parish comprises 1,882 acres; and its post town is Loddon, under Norwich. ...


Real property, £3, 210. Pop.in 1851, 428; in 1861, 376. Houses, 92. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir H. Bacon, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £100.* Patron, Sir H. Bacon, Bart. The church is ancient but good; has a round tower; and occupies a commanding site. There are a national school and apoors' allotment, the latter yielding about £20 a year.

Norton Subcourse through time

Norton Subcourse is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton Subcourse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Subcourse in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4670

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton Subcourse ".