Place:


Adlington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adlington like this:

ADLINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Standish parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Bolton and Preston railway, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles SE of Chorley; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chorley. Cotton manufacture is carried on; and coal mines were formerly worked, but are exhausted. ...


Acres, 1,062. Real property, £4,324. Pop., 1,975. Houses, 369. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 3,331. Houses, 630. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Standish. The church was built in 1838, and is in the Norman style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Adlington through time

Adlington is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Adlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adlington, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/466

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Adlington ".