Place:


Cleiro  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cleiro like this:

CLYRO, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Hay and county of Radnor. The village stands on a rivulet near the river Wye and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 1 mile NW of Hay; has a post office under Hereford; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish includes also the chapelry of Bettws-Clyro. ...


Acres, 7, 225. Real property, £7, 704. Pop., 888. Houses, 172. Clyro Court is the seat of the Baskervilles. A monastery was early founded in the parish; and there are traces of a castle. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bettws-Clyro, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £345.* Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church has a piscina and a font.—The sub-district contains eight parishes and part of another. Acres, 31, 753. Pop., 3, 521. Houses, 697.

Cleiro through time

Cleiro is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cleiro itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cleiro, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4644

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cleiro ".