Place:


Southwick on Wear  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southwick on Wear like this:

SOUTHWICK, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, 1½ mile NW of Sunderland r. station; consists of two parts, High and Low; carries on ship-building, glass-making., brick-making, and pottery-work; and has a post-office‡ under Sunderland. ...


The township comprises 1,018 acres. Real property, £10,626; of which £343 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,721: in 1861, 4,263. Houses, 626. Pop. in 1868, between 6 and 7,000. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Pop., 4,683. Houses, 704. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, about £500.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church is modern; and there are Wesleyan, United Methodist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, an Alexandra institute, and a national school.

Southwick on Wear through time

Southwick on Wear is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southwick on Wear itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southwick on Wear, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/464

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southwick on Wear ".