Place:


Castlebythe  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castlebythe like this:

CASTLE-BYTHE, or Castle-Bigh, a parish in Haverfordwest district, Pembroke; 5 miles N of Clarbeston Road r. station, and 10 NE of Haverfordwest. Post Town, Haverfordwest. Acres, 2,537. Real property, £1,056. Pop., 227. Houses, 48. Part of the surface is upland, on the skirt of the Percelly mountains. An ancient military strength was here, supposed to be the Roman Ad Vigesimum, on the maritime Julian way. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, not reported. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.

Castlebythe through time

Castlebythe is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castlebythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castlebythe in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4636

Date accessed: 11th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castlebythe ".