Place:


Blaydon  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blaydon like this:

BLAYDON, a small town in Winlaton township and parish, Durham; on the river Tyne, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 4 miles W of Newcastle-on-Tyne. It was not long ago a small village; but it acquired importance from a large manufacture of articles in fire-clay, and from transit communication, by river and by railway, with neighbouring iron-works and collieries; and it is now a considerable, well-built place, with regular streets running N and S. ...


It has a post office‡ called Blaydon-on-Tyne, a station with telegraph on the railway, two chief inns, a mechanics' institute, a handsome church, much improved in 1869, and three Methodist chapels. Axwell Park, the fine seat of Sir W. A. Clavering, Bart., is in the vicinity.

Blaydon through time

Blaydon is now part of Gateshead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gateshead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blaydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blaydon, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/463

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blaydon ".