Place:


Longstanton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longstanton like this:

STANTON (Long) ALL SAINTS, a parish, with a village, in Chesterton district, Cambridge; on the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 6 ½ miles NW by N of Cambridge. It has a post-office under Cambridge, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 1,856. Real property, with L. S.-St. Michael, £4,083. ...


Pop., 440. Houses, 97. The manor belongs to E. H. Finch-Hatton, Esq. A palace of the Bishops of Ely stood here, and was visited by Queen Elizabeth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £155.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is decorated English, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £62.

Longstanton through time

Longstanton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longstanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longstanton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4627

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longstanton ".