Place:


Histon  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Histon like this:

HISTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands near the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 4 miles NNW of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 2, 300 acres. Real property, £5, 524. Pop., 971. ...


Houses, 206. Most of the land is divided among three. Histon Hall is the seat of W. R. Sumpter, Esq. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. T. P. Michell. The church is ancient and cruciform, has a central tower, and was recently restored. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £20 a year, and some considerable charities.

Histon through time

Histon is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Histon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Histon in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4625

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Histon ".