Place:


Wythop  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wythop like this:

WYTHOP, a chapelry, comprising W. township and W.-Mill extra-parochial tract, in Cockermouth district, Cumberland; on Bassenthwaite-water, at Bassenthwaite r. station, 5 miles ESE of Cockermouth. Post town, Cockermouth. Rated property, £622. Pop., 99. Houses, 18. The property is much subdivided. W. township is in Lorton parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £51. Patrons, the L and owners. The church was rebuilt in 1867. Hudson, the Editor of "Josephus,'' was a native.

Wythop through time

Wythop is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wythop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wythop, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4621

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wythop ".