Place:


Plumpton Wall  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plumpton Wall like this:

PLUMPTON-WALL, a township-chapelry in Lazonby parish, Cumberland; on Watling-street and the river Petteril, 1½ mile N of Plumpton r. station, and 6 N by W of Penrith. Post-town, Lazonby, under Penrith. Acres, 3,021. Real property, £3, 541. Pop., 326. Houses, 57. Old Penrith, with the site of a Roman station, is in the vicinity. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £49. Patron, J. Dixon, Esq. There is an endowed school.

Plumpton Wall through time

Plumpton Wall is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plumpton Wall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plumpton Wall, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4611

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plumpton Wall ".