Place:


Orton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orton like this:

ORTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The village stands 3½ miles N of Curthwaite r. station, and 5 W by S of Carlisle: is an ancient place, of quaint appearance; and was fortified, in the old times, with earthworks for defence against the Border rivers. ...


The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £1, 997. Pop. in 1851, 285. Houses, 47. The parish contains also the township of Baldwin holme; and its post town is Carlisle. Acres, 4, 277. Real property, £4, 368. Pop.in 1851, 519; in 1861, 468. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir R. Briscoe, Bart. An eminence, called Parson's Thorn, commands an extensive view of Cumberland and part of Scotland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. value, £370.* Patron, Sir R. Briscoe, Bart. The church stands on an eminence; and is an ancient structure, in tolerable condition. Charities, £5. Archbishop Nicolson, the antiquary, was a native.

Orton through time

Orton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4610

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orton ".