Place:


Cherry Hinton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cherry Hinton like this:

CHERRY-HINTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway, under Gogmagog hills, 2¼ miles ESE of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge. Acres, 2, 043. Real property, £4, 942. Pop., 734. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. ...


Cherry-trees were once plentiful; saffron is produced; and chalk fossils and iron pyrites are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £164.* Patron, Peter House, Cambridge. The church is early English, in good condition; and contains some monuments and an ancient font. A school has £35 from endowment; and other charities £61. The Cambridge water-works are here.

Cherry Hinton through time

Cherry Hinton is now part of Cambridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cambridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cherry Hinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cherry Hinton, in Cambridge and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4608

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cherry Hinton ".